Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Debate Review #2

BORING

I'm so glad I went to the basketball game last night rather than watch that snoozer. There was nothing to recommend that debate. I heard nothing but talking points for 90 mins. It was like two competing stump speeches. Because the candidates were not allowed to directly engage each other and the moderator was not allowed to ask follow-up questions the whole thing sucked. This debate could have been written from position papers taken from the two candidate's websites. YAWN!

As for the debate's impact on the campaign I think it can't help but be minimal. McCain did have the chance to introduce the line that the financial crisis was the result of a shared set of screw-ups involving both parties. Barack was able to score points on his assertion that the Republicans have a failed economic philosophy. Still, there was no punch. I can't help but think that this was a non-event all told.

The economy still is the #1 issue. Obama wins that issue on fundamentals. So, baring something happening he's winning. McCain did nothing to change that basic calculation last night. So while I think we all lost by having to watch that terrible debate, Obama won by not losing as much... I guess.

No comments: