Thursday, October 2, 2008

Palin vs Biden: First blush

Well, I watched the whole thing. Pretty fun. My first impression was that Biden won the debate. However, I suspect myself of not being a good judge. So much of Palin's appeal is lost on me. Similar to the way I just don't get how Obama casts a spell over such a large number of people by saying nothing. I'm going to withhold final judgment.

Some of the snap polls are indicating that Biden won. These polls are taken among people who say that they watched the whole debate. The methodology on these things is so suspect I'm not sure they're worth anything. Frank Luntz (this link is to his website... the focus group results aren't up yet but I assume they will be.) also ran a focus group of likely voters that seemed to greatly favor Palin. I'm pretty sure that the polling today is totally useless. Unless you're Solidad Obrien, then it's an opportunity.

For now I'll simply use my own tips and give grades based on how well I think each candidate fulfilled my expectations.

Sarah:

1) Answer the questions. Evasion is the worst thing you can do.
She got better about staying on topic but often ignored the moderator. I think that this was strategic decision by the campaign. She was told to just hit her points and ignore the moderator. Her grade would be lower but maybe the campaign is smarter than me. Grade: D+

2) Pause and breath. The rap on you is inexperience, reciting from memory won't help.
She did well here. She started nervously but eventually settled into her element. Grade: B

3) Debate Barack. You've still got more star power than Joe, don't let him take you to his level.
She succeeded here. She stayed on Obama and didn't let Biden bait her. Not that he really tried. Grade: B+

4) Be likable. You're a winner because people like you. Tell a joke, smile and be in good humor.
Again, she did fine. She managed to give out a few zingers and smile. She was likable. Grade: B-

5) Become the "change agent." Debate "Washington," next to Joe people will believe you.
I think she could have done more. The focus on "maverick" over "reformer" I think is wrong. Actually, I'd have her say "change." But, I guess that's a bit too bold. Grade: C+

Over all: B-

Joe:
1) Be kind. You're the sort of guy who can tell, listen and laugh at a joke. Keep that attitude.
Can this guy smile or what? He did very well with his temperament. Grade: A-

2) Debate John. You're the adult. Don't get distracted, there's no need to correct Sarah.
He did get in jabs at McCain, but he wasn't able to really hit him hard. This is probably because the debate really was the Sarah Palin show... so maybe it's not his fault but he still doesn't get great credit. Grade: C.

3) Demonstrate your knowledge. Tell stories about what you've seen/done.
He did this, but it didn't have much to do with Palin. Though he had to get it in. Grade: C.

4) Don't try too hard. Obama they love, you're the insurance in case he can't handle something.
Joe again didn't make himself noticeable on this point and was thus effective. He reinforced Obama and deferred to him. Good for him. Grade: B.

5) Be causal. Sarah's the one on trial tonight, you just need to show up and not screw up.
He was able to demonstrate that he's ready from day 1 and he would be an effective advocate for Obama's policies. Like those policies or not... Biden didn't make himself a problem. Grade: B.

Over all grade: B.

I'm waiting for some more information before I'm ready to decide who really is going to benefit from this debate. Here's what some CNN folks think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is why Palin "did well":
http://wonkette.com/403251/how-sarah-palin-survived-ninety-minutes-without-spontaneously-combusting